If Semalt is hammering your WORDPRESS site with unwanted rubbish traffic and distorting your stats, here is what I did to stop it.

!important CAVEAT-

  • do this at your own risk.
  • Don’t do this if you are unsure about .htaccess coding.
  • Make a backup of your existing htaccess file.
  • As with ANY scripting, test, monitor, discard if it’s a problem.
  • This is a WORDPRESS fix.

There are several solutions out there and I found that some of them didn’t work for me.  This one did and I’m not sure who put it out there first.

After this (or just at the end of your .htaccess file) :

# END WordPress

Add this:

SetEnvIfNoCase Via evil-spam-proxy spammer=yes
SetEnvIfNoCase Referer evil-spam-domain.com spammer=yes
SetEnvIfNoCase Referer evil-spam-keyword spammer=yes
SetEnvIfNoCase Via pinappleproxy spammer=yes
SetEnvIfNoCase Referer semalt.com spammer=yes
SetEnvIfNoCase Referer poker spammer=yes

Order allow,deny
Allow from all
Deny from env=spammer